This giant bowl of healthy goodness will fill your belly and your heart.
If I had to pick my favorite plant-based recipe it would definitely have to be the buddha bowl. For those of you who don’t know what a buddha bowl is, it’s a big bowl filled with a whole grain (usually quinoa or brown rice), different kinds of vegetables (raw or roasted), a source of protein and all drizzled with a peanut sauce. The great thing about this meal is that it’s nutritious and delicious and incredibly easy to make. You just throw a bunch of goodies in a big bowl and voilà. And the combinations you can make are truly endless.
Every time I make a buddha bowl, I always use the same ingredients. I always use brown rice as the base and tofu as the main protein. As for veggies, I usually stick to the same ones as well although I’m not rigid about it.
In the event you decide to make yourself a buddha bowl, I suggest you stick to the recipe below for one reason: the ingredients blend extremely well together. So without further ado, here’s how to build your own buddha bowl.
Ingredients for the bowl:
- 1/2 of crispy tofu
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 cup of edamame beans
- 1 tomato
- 1 large carrot
- 1 avocado
- 1 bell pepper
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 cup of cooked brown rice/quinoa
Ingredients for crispy tofu:
- 1/2 of tofu
- 1 TSP of olive oil
- 1 TSP of cornstarch
Preparation of the crispy tofu:
- Drain and press the tofu then cut into cubes.
- Sprinkle olive oil and cornstarch over the tofu cubes and toss until evenly coated.
- Bake at 400 degrees F until crispy (usually between 20-30 minutes).
Ingredients for the spicy sweet peanut sauce:
- 1/4 cup of smooth peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon of reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon of sriracha
- 1 garlic clove – pressed
- Water (for consistency)
Preparation of the spicy sweet peanut sauce:
- Mix the first four ingredients in a bowl.
- Slowly add water until you reach the desired consistency.
Preparation of the bowl:
- Place everything in a big salad bowl and drizzle with the spicy sweet peanut sauce.
- Mix thoroughly to combine.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.
If you end up using my recipe, don’t forget to share it and tag me. I’d love to see your creations.