If you’re looking for a healthy pizza alternative then you absolutely must try my oatmeal crust pizza recipe.
You know what I absolutely love about food? It’s the fact that you can turn any of your favorite junk food into something that’s more nutrient-dense. Now, I’m in no way saying that indulging in your preferred treats is bad. Not at all. I’m just saying it should be something that’s done occasionally rather than on a regular basis. It’s always good – and important – to prioritize foods that are rich in nutrients.
If you’ve been following my life journey for a while then you must know I’m a huge sucker for pizza. My husband and I have pizza at least once a week, and that’s a fact. Most of the time we order one online. Sometimes we even have a frozen one. And other times we make this oatmeal crust pizza.
What is an oatmeal crust pizza?
Good question. An oatmeal crust pizza is a pizza whose crust is made from oats, eggs, ricotta cheese, baking powder and salt and pepper. That’s it. Easy peasy, right? What I love about it is that it’s not only incredibly easy to make but it’s also full of flavor and plenty of nutrients. If you don’t know, oats are a great source of carbs and fiber and are loaded with important vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, iron, zinc, folate and more.
What toppings can I put on my oatmeal crust pizza?
The options are endless. I personally love to top it with tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, onions, spinach or arugula, and if I’m feeling some meat I love to use prosciutto. And here are other possibilities:
- Green peppers
- Tomatoes (fresh or sun-dried)
- Meat: pepperoni, sausage, ground meat, bacon, chicken and more
How do I make this delicious oatmeal crust pizza?
I said it once and I’ll say it again, it’s INCREDIBLY easy to make it. All you need is a couple of ingredients and a blender and like 5 minutes of your precious time. That’s it. I promise. Now go on and make yourself some delicious oatmeal crust pizza.
- 1 cup of oats
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of egg whites
- 2 tablespoons of ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place everything in your blender and blend until smooth. Note that the consistency should be on the thicker side.
- Press the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The dough should be about 0.5 cm thick.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and gently flip the crust over.
- Top it with your favorite toppings, such as tomato sauce, cheese, meats and veggies, and put it back in the oven for another 5 minutes or so.